The Laws Regarding Car Insurance

To drive a vehicle in public, you need car insurance; it provides financial and liability protection in case of injury or damage. The law in the UK for road users makes it a punishable offence to drive without insurance. Below, you will find the details on this law, the exceptions to it and the potential punishments.

When You Will Need Car Insurance

For driving in public, such as on roads, your vehicle needs to have motor insurance cover under UK laws.

There are, however, exceptions to this. If your car has been declared “off the road” with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA), you will not need to insure it, in-line with the “continuous insurance enforcement” rule. Drivers can inform the DVLA through a “Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN).”

In cases where vehicles are sold or passed-on for trading, or when the registered keeper is changing hands, these are also exceptions to this “continuous insurance enforcement” rule.

The Punishment for Driving Without Insurance

If you drive without insurance or someone else uses your vehicle when they are not insured to drive it, you could receive any of the following punishments if caught.

  • A fixed penalty of between £100 and £300 or points on your license.
  • Your vehicle may be clamped, seized or crushed.
  • You could go to court and receive a fine of up-to £5,000 or be disqualified.

To be sure that you have insurance, you can check the “askMID” website.

The police can take uninsured cars found to have been driven on public roads under powers given to them.

In an Accident with and Without Insurance

In the event of an accident that results in injury or damage, you are required to hand-over to the relevant parties, such as an insurance company, your details, including name and address, and registration number.

If the vehicle is someone else’s, their name and address will also need to be given.

The police and your insurance company must also be informed of an accident. Within 24 hours, in the case of the police.

If someone you’ve had an accident with isn’t insured, it’s advised that you call the police and seek advice from your insurance company.